Easing the Pain of Re-Entry
Parler Paris–your daily taste of life in Paris and France
Thrusday, March 25, 2004
* * * * * * ADVERTISEMENT * * * * * *
INSIDER PARIS GUIDES — PARIS IS OUR MIDDLE NAME
Insider Paris Guides are a series of electronically published guides about Paris and France written by Paris-based American journalists and writers with insider information from the folks who really know about Paris and France…
* Updated regularly — impossible to get such up-to-date information anywhere else…
* Read about Paris moments after — no need to wait for your order to be mailed, and no trip to the bookstore…
* For the insider scoop on Restaurants, Hotels, Working and Living in France, Writers in Paris, Practical Answers for Living in France, Biking in Paris, Gay Paris, Black Paris and Soulfood Cookbooks…
* All Insider Paris Guides publications are backed by our 100% money-back guarantee!
Visit http://www.insiderparisguides.com/ to learn more.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dear Parler Paris Reader,
Larry Frame was walking on a narrow street near the Opéra Garnier two weekends ago when he came across a blocked sidewalk, and was forced to walk in the street. The driver of the “HumVee” went past him at 40mph at least and missed hitting him by less than two feet. About 15 minutes later, he took this photo. “The arrogant lout parked his ‘war machine’ in the middle of Avenue de l’Opéra, partially blocking the inside lane in both directions. He came out of Starbucks about the time I took the picture.”
When I landed in Florida two weeks ago to relax a couple of days in the Florida sunshine after a long, cold, gray, damp, Paris winter and to attend the IL Live Overseas Conference in Delray Beach, I discovered that not only is Starbucks absolutely EVERYWHERE, but all over Florida, gas stations no longer have gas pumps — but instead have tables and chairs under their expansive flat roofs and young people are drinking the Seattle brew in styrofoam cups. My father ran a gas station in New Orleans for 47 years. I wonder if it’s been converted, too?
Back in Paris, the mailed piled up and I see that there’s an awful lot of cultural events in English going on to ease the pain of re-entry and reverse the culture shock quickly. Some quick highlights include:
* Parler Parlor French-English Conversation Group is celebrating their 6th Year in Paris with a HOT CHILI LUNCH Saturday, April 3, 11 a.m. at Eurocentres, 13 passage dauphine, 6th. Come for conversation at 11 a.m. then stay at 12:30 p.m. for lunch! 5 Euro contribution. Take 10 euros off a 10-session card and 20 euros off a 20-session card that day! For more information, visit http://www.parlerparlor.com/
* Théâtre Les Déchargeurs is showing “Talking Heads” (four monologues in English) now through May 1, Tuesdays through Saturdays, written by Alan Bennett and directed by Judith Burnett. Call 01.42.36.00.50 for reservations.
* Jim Hightower, former Texas Commissioner of Agriculture (http://www.jimhightower.com) “Speaks His Mind” Sunday, April 25th, 2004 at 6:45 PM at the home of John Morris, sponsored by Democrats Abroad, contribution 20 euros. RSVP by return email: Demsabroad@noos.fr
* Moving Parts Plays in English:
4th April Thomas Dooley, “Tangled Love”
7:30 p.m. Sunday Evenings
* ONE WORLD ACTORS PRODUCTIONS presents A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM by William Shakespeare in English, directed by Kim-Michelle BRODERICK, Mondays at 8 p.m. April 12, 19, 26, May 3, 24, 31 and June 14, 21 at Studio-Théâtre de la Comédie Française, Carrousel du Louvre, entrée 99 rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre and Thursdays at 8 p.m. at UNESCO, 7 place de Fontenoy, 75007 Paris, Métro: Cambronne/Ségur March 15, 18, 22, 25, 29, April 1 and 5. Tickets range from 15 to 40 euros. By reservation only: phone 01.48.28.09.26 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org For further information and to become a sponsor, visit their Web site http://www.oneworldactors.com
* Jazz with Joe Makholm on piano, Peter Giron on bass, John Betsch on drums, Friday, March 26, 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. at aux 7 Lézards, 10, rue des Rosiers, Paris 4th, Métro: St-Paul, for more information phone: 01.48.87.08.97
A la prochaine…
P.S. And for those of you who dream of the Euro and the Dollar on an equal par, The Paris Saint-Ouen Flea Market is inviting you to “Opération Parité 1 EURO = $1!” March 27 – 29 and April 3 – 5, 2004! For more information, click here
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Further resources:
* Get your French up to snuff with the best teacher in town.
* Getting a mortgage in France is easier than you think.
* Need to understand how to make your dream to live in France come true, then take us up on a one-on-one.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Meet and chat with other readers in Paris: Parler Paris Après Midi
Buy and sell with Parler Paris classifieds: Advertise
t face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">=================== Read past issues of Parler Paris: Archives =================== Post your message: Bulletin Board =================== Write to Adrian Leeds to tell us anything. =================== Know someone who would be interested in the opportunities in Parler Paris? Forward it for FREE to your friend, relative, or associate. =================== Keep Parler Paris coming to your mailbox. If you enjoy reading Parler Paris, help us out by “white-listing” our service…before its delivery is interrupted. A big thanks in advance from your faithful Parler Paris team. =================== Change your e-mail address or cancel your subscription: Manage Your E-Letters You may also unsubscribe by clicking on: Unsubscribe =================== Copyright 2006, Adrian Leeds®
t face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">===================
Read past issues of Parler Paris: Archives
Post your message: Bulletin Board
Write to Adrian Leeds to tell us anything.
Know someone who would be interested in the opportunities in Parler Paris? Forward it for FREE to your friend, relative, or associate.
Keep Parler Paris coming to your mailbox. If you enjoy reading Parler Paris, help us out by “white-listing” our service…before its delivery is interrupted.
A big thanks in advance from your faithful Parler Paris team.
Change your e-mail address or cancel your subscription: Manage Your E-Letters
You may also unsubscribe by clicking on: Unsubscribe
Copyright 2006, Adrian Leeds®
Easing The Pain Of Re-Entry
This entry was posted in 2004, Parler Paris and tagged Adrian Leeds, Adrian Leeds Editor, Advertise===================Read past issues, April Thomas Dooley, associate.===================keep parler paris, Black Paris, carrousel du louvre, du louvre, entrée 99 rue, expansive flat roofs, faithful parler, French Property Insider, French-English Conversation Group, gas station, Gay Paris, Hot Chili Lunch, information, Insider Paris Guides, interrupted.A big thanks, June, la comédie française, Leeds® Adrian Leeds, Live Overseas Conference, Mary Bruton Sandifer, Metro, michael di antonio, NAMEInsider Paris Guides, Opéra, Paris Guides, Paris moments, Paris Saint-Ouen Flea, Paris team.===================Change, Paris winter, Paris-based American journalists, parler paris, Parler Paris Après, Parler Paris classifieds, Parler Paris E-mail, Parler Parlor, Property Insider, Property Insider readers, Re-EntryParler Paris, reservations.* jim hightower, royal-musée du louvre, rue, rue des rosiers, rue du mont, Théâtre Les Déchargeurs, WORLD ACTORS PRODUCTIONS. Bookmark the permalink.